Re: GSoC

From: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
To: Anindya Jyoti Roy <anindyar(at)iitk(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: 2010-03-30 05:50:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:33:59AM +0530, Anindya Jyoti Roy wrote:
> I have some idea of implementing am image database system, which will let
> you search against the image and fingerprint:

As others already pointed out, this seems a huge task for a summer,
unless you have the image processing parts sorted out. That said, you
might want to have a look at GNU Gift [1], [2]. They seem to have sorted
out the image fingerprinting and comparing bits and have a sound
academic foundation.

Note that the project itself is under the GNU GPL, thus you won't
be able to just copy code from there to build "into" PostgreSQL. But
you can turn to this project for inspiration and algorithms (or you
can realize it as an external project, as others have proposed).

[1] <>
[2] <>

- -- tomás
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)