Re: UTF-8 encoding failure

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Martin Schafer <Martin(dot)Schaefer(at)cadcorp(dot)com>, "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding failure
Date: 2010-03-26 02:06:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
> Probably it is not a bug.
>
> Testing with encoding UTF-8:
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "蝗帛ョ誉gid_seq" for serial column "蝗帛ョ・gid"
> Testing with encoding SJIS:
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "四宗_gid_seq" for serial column "四宗.gid"

> From: "Martin Schafer" <Martin(dot)Schaefer(at)cadcorp(dot)com>
> - UTF8: does not return the same column name used to create the table.

Yeah, there are no encoding problems in libpq and postgres, but you need
to print NOTICE messages in the same codepage with your console.
You probably need to replace routines to display NOTICE messages in libpq.
PQsetNoticeReceiver() would be a help.

Or, you could just change the codepage of your console to UTF-8.
However, there is a known problem in Windows console that console with
UTF-8 codepage cannot display any kanji characters. I'm not sure
what we can do to fix it ... some font settings in the registory?

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center