Re: Table inheritance

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table inheritance
Date: 2010-03-25 20:52:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Zdravko Balorda <zdravko(dot)balorda(at)siix(dot)com>
> Hi,
> I'm new to inheritance. Does anyone have a good link about it?
> I have just finished an application using parent and child tables.
> Tables look a bit strange. :)
> Inheritance seems a good replacement for foreign keys. One can
> completely forget about them which simplifies programming.
> A great idea, this inheritance.

It ... doesn't. In fact, it makes them harder, as you need to create them
and associated indexes on each child table.

"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."