Re: Table inheritance

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table inheritance
Date: 2010-03-25 20:52:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Zdravko Balorda <zdravko(dot)balorda(at)siix(dot)com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to inheritance. Does anyone have a good link about it?
>
> I have just finished an application using parent and child tables.
> Tables look a bit strange. :)
>
> Inheritance seems a good replacement for foreign keys. One can
> completely forget about them which simplifies programming.
> A great idea, this inheritance.

It ... doesn't. In fact, it makes them harder, as you need to create them
and associated indexes on each child table.

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."