Re: -bugs moderators

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>,Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>,PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: -bugs moderators
Date: 2010-03-24 03:37:34
Lists: pgsql-www
Joshua Tolley escribió:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:30:53PM +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> > >
> > > Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
> > > the only person there.
> >
> > what does it take to be a moderator?
>
> Emails requiring moderation get sent to you first (this includes, AIUI, emails
> sent from addresses that aren't subscribed to the list). If the email should
> be forwarded to the list, you respond to that email with the "accept" command.
> I was taught that other emails are generally ignored, rather than explicitly
> rejected, though explicit rejections are also possible.

I don't see the point in ignoring spam and letting it linger.  It makes
the task so much harder if you ever go to the web form to check whatever
is there.  I find it easier to deal with those by just rejecting them on
sight.  There are some Mutt macros that I posted some time ago, and were
refined by David Fetter, that help with this.  Even if you don't use
Mutt, you can probably use the idea.

> I remember reading a thread somewhere that said not all messages on a
> list are sent to all moderators; I don't know what particular magic
> the moderation software uses exactly.

It was probably me that you remember saying it.  It's configurable, and
I don't know if our Majordomo installation uses it.