Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-23 18:52:32
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:47:30PM -0500, Andy Colson wrote:
> I guess, for me, once I started using PG and learned enough about it (all
> db have their own quirks and dark corners) I was in love.  It wasnt
> important which db was fastest at xyz, it was which tool do I know, and
> trust, that can solve problem xyz.
> (I added the "and trust" as an after thought, because I do have one very
> important 100% uptime required mysql database that is running.  Its my
> MythTV box at home, and I have to ask permission from my GF before I take
> the box down to upgrade anything.  And heaven forbid if it crashes or
> anything.  So I do have experience with care and feeding of mysql.  And no,
> I'm not kidding.)
> And I choose PG.

Andy, you are so me! I have the exact same one-and-only-one mission
critical mysql DB, but the gatekeeper is my wife. And experience with
that instance has made me love and trust PostgreSQL even more.

Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166
The Connexions Project            fax: 713-348-3665
Rice University MS-375, Houston, TX 77005
GPG Key fingerprint = F023 82C8 9B0E 2CC6 0D8E  F888 D3AE 810E 88F0 BEDE