Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-23 18:52:32
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:47:30PM -0500, Andy Colson wrote:

> I guess, for me, once I started using PG and learned enough about it (all
> db have their own quirks and dark corners) I was in love.  It wasnt
> important which db was fastest at xyz, it was which tool do I know, and
> trust, that can solve problem xyz.
>
> (I added the "and trust" as an after thought, because I do have one very
> important 100% uptime required mysql database that is running.  Its my
> MythTV box at home, and I have to ask permission from my GF before I take
> the box down to upgrade anything.  And heaven forbid if it crashes or
> anything.  So I do have experience with care and feeding of mysql.  And no,
> I'm not kidding.)
>
> And I choose PG.

Andy, you are so me! I have the exact same one-and-only-one mission
critical mysql DB, but the gatekeeper is my wife. And experience with
that instance has made me love and trust PostgreSQL even more.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166