PostgreSQL questions

From: Carel Combrink <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL questions
Date: 2010-03-12 08:09:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear PostgreSQL novice list,

I am starting development on an application that requires the use of a
Database. I am considering MySQL vs PostgreSQL and have done extensive
(perhaps incomplete) research on both of these.

I have 2 questions about PostgreSQL:
1.) Is there a difference in running PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux. I
am a Windows user but have a Linux box. For the application I am
leaning more to Linux. Is there advantages or factors I should
consider when choosing the OS?

2.) This question is related to triggers. Can I use a trigger to
notify my external application about a change in the database. I am
looking at using QT for development because of its platform
independence. Thus the complete question is: Can I notify the QT
application that data was added to the database (using a trigger)
without having to query the database the whole time?

The specifications for the application are real-time to semi-real-time
thus I need an OS with semi-real-time characteristics (Windows is not
as far as I know, that is why Linux is a good option). And I want to
notifying the application of changes in the database as soon as they
happen, this will help with the real-time aspect.

Hope I can get this sorted soon as development should start asap.

Thank you,
Carel

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.