Re: Warning about invalid .pgpass passwords

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Eamonn Martin <mas01em(at)gold(dot)ac(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warning about invalid .pgpass passwords
Date: 2010-03-11 22:42:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> This bit seems strange ...  I think we just do strcmp() to compare sqlstates?
> > Uh, the PQresultErrorField is a string, while
> > ERRCODE_INVALID_PASSWORD_SPECIFICATION is a 4-byte value in base-64.
> > Yea, it's true.  For excitement, see the MAKE_SQLSTATE macro.
> I don't particularly believe in doing things this way: I think that
> libpq should just hardwire the string the same as it's doing for the
> other specific sqlstate it's checking for.  If we do this at all,
> then we are effectively embedding that sqlstate value in the protocol.
> We are not going to be able to change it later.  Doing it like this
> opens us up to randomly using errcodes in the frontend without realizing
> that we've thereby lost the freedom to change them.
> Even if you insist on including errcodes.h into the frontend code
> despite that, this is an ugly brute-force way of solving the problem.
> The intended way of solving the problem was to redefine MAKE_SQLSTATE
> before including the file, in .c files where you need a different
> representation.

OK, just defined it as a constant string. I am not a big fan of
redefining macros, especially ones that are referenced in later include

Is this going to cause problems for client applications that only test
are testing for just the first two digits.

Is there anywhere else we should be testing for this new sqlstate value?

Updated patch attached.

  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>

  PG East: