Re: lock mode for ControlFileLock which pg_start_backup uses

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lock mode for ControlFileLock which pg_start_backup uses
Date: 2010-03-09 07:47:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Currently pg_start_backup() accesses the shared ControlFile
> by using ControlFileLock with LW_EXCLUSIVE lock mode. But
> since that access is read-only operation, LW_SHARED should
> be chosen instead of LW_EXCLUSIVE.

Almost all operations of ControlFileLock is in LW_EXCLUSIVE, but
there is one usage of LWLockConditionalAcquire(ControlFileLock, LW_SHARED)
in XLogNeedsFlush().

> The attached patch changes the lock mode which pg_start_backup()
> uses. Is it worth applying this patch?

I think the patch is reasonable to represent what we are doing,
even if there is no performance benefits from it.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center