Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime
Date: 2010-02-28 01:14:11
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
> Since I didn't hear anything about "API into the Parser / Parser as an
> independent module", I just wrote my own summary of what I think the
> idea was there is and am moving on.  I'll try to track down more info at
> PG East next month when I run into some of the people I think care about
> this.

I have took a look at your description. That is totally different from
what I thought. Statement replication and/or load balancing middle
ware need to know SQL statement is SELECT or others. If it is a (read
only) SELECT, it can be routed to standby node of Streaming
replication clusters for example. For this purpose, such a middle ware
ought to be able to parse SQL. If PostgreSQL provide its raw parser as
a C library, it will be very usefull for such middle ware since they
do not need to re-implement their own SQL parser (as pgpool-II already
did).

> Next up is "Start/stop archiving at runtime".  First set of questions:
>
> -Is this referring to the current PITR archiving as done via
> archive_command, does it intend to cover a wider scope than that, or is
> "archiving" being used in a general replication sense instead not
> related to that?

Pgpool-II is capable to re-sync a DB node while pgpool-II and
PostgreSQL are running. It is called "on line recovery". This is done
by taking a base backup and WAL archiving. After successfull
completeion of on line backup, it does not need continuous WAL
archiving anymore. Therefore what I need is, set archive_mode to off
without restarting PostgreSQL.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan