Re: visibility maps and heap_prune

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: visibility maps and heap_prune
Date: 2010-02-26 03:32:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Whatever happened to this? ?It was in the first 9.0 commitfest but was
> > returned with feedback but never updated:
> >
> > ? ? ? ?https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=75
>
> Well, the patch author chose not to pursue it.  It's clearly far too
> late now, at least for 9.0.
>
> I'm pleased to see that you're not finding many patches that just
> completely slipped through the cracks - seems like most things were
> withdrawn on purpose, had problems, and/or were not pursued by the
> author.  I think the CommitFest process has done a pretty good job of
> making sure everything gets looked at.  The only small chink I see is
> that there may be some patches (especially small ones or from
> first-time contributors) which escaped getting added to a CommitFest
> in the first place; and we don't really have a way of policing that.
> Usually someone replies to the patch author and suggests adding it to
> the next CF, but I can't swear that that happens in every case.

Yea, the complex issues are often lost, and I stopped tracking
commitfest items so I don't actually know if anything that got into the
commit fest was eventually just dropped by the author.  We can say we
don't need to persue those but they might be valuable/important.

  PG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do