Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-25 16:37:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > OK, can you go through the reasons why pg_stop_backup would not
> > complete?
>
> pg_stop_backup() doesn't complete until all the WAL segments needed to
> restore from the backup are archived. If archive_command is failing,
> that never happens.

Yes, very old behavior allowed people to think they had a full backup
when the WAL files needed were not all archived, which was a bad thing.
Thankfully no one reported catastrophic failure from the old behavior.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do