Re: Using nicknames on planet?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com,pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using nicknames on planet?
Date: 2010-02-25 01:01:37
Lists: pgsql-www
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19:47PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Devrim GNDZ wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > > I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
> > >, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
> > > it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
> > > change the policy.
> >
> > Given that is being synced to,
> > I am (still) against adding nicknames instead of real names.
> >
> > If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
> > nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
> > nicknames.
> True, but real names could sound abusing too.  Can't we just reject
> silly user names at our discretion.  I doubt it would ever happen, at
> least in our group.

I don't see any point in allowing nicknames at all.

> > > Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full
> > > names - I would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames
> > > on planet - at the very least to allow newcomers easily
> > > associate person from irc with author on planet.
> >
> > I don't care about IRC, as long as logs are not synced to our main
> > website. IRC and Planet are not the same thing.
> >
> > (and .../me uses realname in IRC.)
> As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
> nicknames, but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
> either.

My understanding of them comes under the heading of security theater,
in that they protect against a pretty uncommon threat and the step
taken to mitigate this threat is about on the level of seizing water
bottles in airports.

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
iCal: webcal://

Remember to vote!