Re: Using nicknames on planet?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using nicknames on planet?
Date: 2010-02-24 17:19:47
Lists: pgsql-www

Devrim GNDZ wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:55 +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > I asked planet team to change "Hubert Lubaczewski" into "depesz" on
> > planet.postgresql.org, but was told that current policy doesn't allow
> > it, but it can be discussed. So I'd like to discuss possibility to
> > change the policy.
>
> Given that planet.postgresql.org is being synced to www.postgresql.org,
> I am (still) against adding nicknames instead of real names.
>
> If we allow nicknames, then we will need to figure out a policy of what
> nicknames should be used or not, to prevent people using abusing
> nicknames.

True, but real names could sound abusing too. Can't we just reject
silly user names at our discretion. I doubt it would ever happen, at
least in our group.

> > Given the fact that on irc it is not very common to use full names - I
> > would say that it makes sense to allow same nicknames on planet - at
> > the very least to allow newcomers easily associate person from irc
> > with author on planet.
>
> I don't care about IRC, as long as logs are not synced to our main
> website. IRC and Planet are not the same thing.
>
> (and .../me uses realname in IRC.)

As do I, and frankly can't figure out the purpose of unrecognizable
nicknames, but then again, I don't understand key signing parties
either.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do