Re: CommitFest Status Summary - 2010-02-14

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: CommitFest Status Summary - 2010-02-14
Date: 2010-02-17 12:07:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 17 February 2010 07:39:16 Tom Lane wrote:
> > * Fix large object support in pg_dump.  I think this is just waiting
> > for a second opinion on whether the approach is correct.  I've been
> > meaning to look at it, but haven't gotten enough round tuits; maybe
> > someone else would like to take a look?  This is an open item, so we
> > should really try to deal with it.
>
> Yeah, I think this is a "must fix for alpha" item.  Will look at it
> tomorrow, god willin an the creek don't rise (or, given the weather
> around here: the power stays on).
>
> > * Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync.  This is really two
> > patches now, one of which is apparently to be backpatched.
>
> This one (both parts) seems to have crashed and burned on unexpected
> portability issues :-(.  Do we have any expectation of being able to
> fix it before alpha4?
The "Faster" part has burned as well? I just looked at the buildfarm and didnt
see anything. Care to point anything out?

For the directory part I think we should aim for a more complete patch if I
(or somebody else) can prove that its an issue (of what I am personally quite
certain of). I think Greg just reverted the last patch (for 8.1).

The latter for sure wont happen before weekend and I dont really see it bound
for alpha4?

Andres