Re: Start of the Seattle Postgres Users Group (Seapug)

From: Robert Bernier <robert(at)pg-live(dot)info>
To: "Albin, Lloyd P" <lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org>
Cc: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Start of the Seattle Postgres Users Group (Seapug)
Date: 2010-02-14 21:29:00
Lists: seapug
Hi Lloyd,

As per our conversation at last week's first ever SEAPUG, you asked what kind of talks I could offer for future meetings.

I've got teaching material for virtually any and all basic PostgreSQL activities.  Although these days it's kinda hard to say what exactly constitute 'basic' since a lot of knowledge is required by the DBA before he even begins his foray into PostgreSQL.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions as to what you'd like me to offer in the way of presentation. Maybe we can get some input from the others who are currently subscribed to this mail list as to what they'd like to see.

At the top of my head here's a list of topics that might pique your interest:
Installing PostgreSQL
	Unix/Linux/BSD Installation (Binary and Source)
	Windows Installation
	Configuration

Server Startup and Shutdown
	Command Line Invocation
	Explicitly Installing and Running a Service
	Shutting Down the Server
	The Use of Signals in a UNIX environment

Privileges, and Security
	About Database Roles
		Attributes
		Privileges
		Membership

	Authentication techniques (editing the pg_hba.conf file)
		Unix socket domains
		How to use IDENT
		How to use PAM
		How to use KERBEROS

	Encrypted sessions
		port forwarding with SSH
		Using SSL
		Data Encryption

Backup, Logging, and Recovery
	Command line utilties
	Point In Time Recovery

Supporting projects
	SLONY
	PGPOOL

--
Robert Bernier
   PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst