Re: pg_restore --single-transaction and --clean

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore --single-transaction and --clean
Date: 2010-02-10 16:56:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane escribió:
> > Kevin Grittner escribi:
> >> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> When we were running in a mixed environment we had several occasions
> >> where it was useful to feed pg_dump --column-inserts output into
> >> Sybase databases. It was very nice to have that. I think we did
> >> sometimes have to filter it through sed to deal with BOOLEAN vs BIT
> >> issues.
>
> > Maybe we should have a --compatible-mode or some such that enables these
> > things, instead of staying away from useful PG-only features.
>
> Well, the subtext of my comment was really that this case isn't useful
> enough to justify introducing a nonstandard construct into dumps.

That's true, but this is not the first time we've left out some feature
from dumps because they would make them standards-incompatible. If we
have enough of these (and I have no idea that we do), maybe we could
start here. This is of course just a future TODO item, not something to
consider for 9.0.