Re: Incomplete pg_dump operation

From: peter(at)vfemail(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Incomplete pg_dump operation
Date: 2010-02-08 07:07:33
Lists: pgsql-novice
The first execution of the:

     select * from pg_index where indexrelid = 2196359751;

command returned this message:

     WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
     DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
     HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
             before or while processing the request.
     The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

A second execution of this command returns a syntax error complaining about the semicolon.

A third execution of this command without the semicolon returns nothing.

After executing these three commands, I exited Postgresql and ran the pg_dump script.  The database backup process terminated with these messages:

     pg_dump: ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 2196359751
     pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "xyz" failed: PQendcopy() failed.
     pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 2196359751
     pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.xyz ({various field names}) TO stdout;

-------