Confusion over Python drivers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-05 14:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

My son has brought to my attention that our current crop of Python
client libraries is inadequate/confusing. I took a look myself, and
asked on our IRC channel, and am now convinced this area needs
attention.

First, the sheer number of libraries is confusing. This is the page
from the Postgres wiki:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Python

The first one listed, Psycopg, is noted as "preferred libpq-based
driver", but the license is GPL. Isn't that a problem for many client
applications?

The next one, PyGreSQL, is BSD licensed, but only has documentation for
the "classic" interface. The DB-API module says about documentation:

http://www.pygresql.org/pgdb.html

This section of the documentation still needs to be written.

The other three are pure Python drivers, which I guess can be good, but
why three, and then there are three more listed as "obsolete/stalled".

Clearly something is wrong here.

The Python-hosted PostgreSQL page has similar problems:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PostgreSQL

Does Perl have a similar mess?

While I realize experienced people can easily navigate this confusion, I
am concerned about new Postgres adopters being very confused by this and
it is hurting our database adoption in general.

What is really needed is for someone to take charge of one of these
projects and make a best-of-breed Python driver that can gain general
acceptance as our preferred driver. I feel Python is too important a
language to be left in this state.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com