Re: Issues with LC_COLLATE, across 8.3/8.4 on various platforms

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with LC_COLLATE, across 8.3/8.4 on various platforms
Date: 2010-02-02 15:28:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

It seems that libc's behaviour regarding LC_COLLATE in Linux/FreeBSD are two different stories, hence the seen results.
(Switching LC_COLLATE between en_US.UTF-8 and POSIX, in FreeBSD it does not have any impact on orderring while in Linux does)
I think i have resolved the issue, so the solution boils down to setting LC_COLLATE=C in our linux central production postgresql server.
What is the shortest way to change the default locale on a production installation running PostgreSQL-8.3.9?
Is there anything less painful than dump, initdb,restore?
I know 8.4 allows for per-db locale settings, i am just asking if there is a way to solve the issue now without waiting till
the migration to 8.4

Thanx!

Στις Tuesday 02 February 2010 14:26:44 ο/η Achilleas Mantzios έγραψε:

--
Achilleas Mantzios