Re: development setup and libdir

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development setup and libdir
Date: 2010-01-31 04:15:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> [100130 19:55]:

> If I am developing, say, a new
> perl facility, I expect to develop and test using a private installation
> of perl, and not screw up my system's perl. It's the same with postgres.

But, perl was a bad example. If you're just trying to develop a new
"perl module", something that other perl scripts can use, to require you
to provide a completely private copy of complete perl, instead of the
perfectly identical (other than paths) version the system provides is a
bit much...

I'm not arguing that the PGXS gripes Ivan has are valid, but your perl
example probably *supports* his case more than you think...

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,