Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect

From: peter(at)vfemail(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect
Date: 2010-01-27 19:10:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane kindly steered me in the right direction to solve a physical disk drive problem after I posted my "'could not read block' error messages" message to this list on Jan. 8. After correcting the hardware problem, the script that wasn't working on Jan. 8 is now working. Thank you, Mr. Lane, for your guidance.

A new problem has now bubbled to the surface. Another perl script that worked flawlessly for many years extracting data from a PostgreSQL database and writing content to text files stopped working on Dec. 21. When I run the script manually today, I receive this error message:

DBD::Pg::db selectall_arrayref failed: server closed the connection unexpectedly at {script} line 692.
DBD::Pg::db selectall_arrayref failed: server closed the connection unexpectedly at {script} line 692.
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect.

Line 692 of the script says:

my $ary_get = $dbhandle->selectall_arrayref($get);

The FreeBSD box hosting PostgreSQL shows this message in its /var/log/messages file everytime the script runs:

Jan 27 14:07:11 midas /kernel: pid 36906 (postgres), uid 70: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)