Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: damage control mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-12 02:45:01
Message-ID: 201001120245.o0C2j1J11154@momjian.us (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> The consensus view on this thread seems to be that we should have a
> >> time-based code freeze, but not a time-based release. ?No one has
> >> argued (and I sincerely hope no one will argue) that we should let the
> >> last CommitFest drag on and on, as we did for 8.4. ?However, many
> >> people are still eager to see us commit more large patches even though
> >> they know that there are stop-ship issues in CVS HEAD as a result of
> >> Hot Standby, and despite the fact that committing more large patches
> >> will likely add more such issues. ?So, barring the possibility that we
> >> somehow pull a collective rabbit out of our hat, we will NOT be ready
> >> for beta on March 1. ?I have not yet given up hope on April 1, but I
> >> wouldn't bet on it, either.
> >
> > I think the big issue with 8.4 was, do we close the commit-fest when we
> > have open issues, and we aren't clear on how to fix them? ?A lot of
> > unresolve issues get kept for that pre-beta period because all of a
> > sudden we have to resolve all those complex problems. ?I don't see that
> > changing for 8.5.
> 
> I agree we have some complex issue to work out.  What I disagree with
> is waiting until the last CommitFest is over to start working on them.
>  I think we should be talking about them now and divvying them up.

We could if we could all stop long enough to address them.  I think
there is the feeling that a great idea will pop up eventually, and only
when we are looking at beta do we realize we are out of time, and the
hard, sometime distasteful/ugly, decisions have to be made.

> > What amazes me is how many people who closely follow our development are
> > mystified by what we do during that pre-beta period.
> 
> Hey, I'm still mystified.  Maybe you and Tom could do twice-a-week
> status updates on what you're working on and anything you could use
> help with, or something.

Yea, that would probably help.  I know I am not very transparent in this
area.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

In response to

Responses

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Bruce MomjianDate: 2010-01-12 02:46:16
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issues
Previous:From: Robert HaasDate: 2010-01-12 02:35:38
Subject: Re: damage control mode

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group