Re: damage control mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-12 02:30:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> The consensus view on this thread seems to be that we should have a
> time-based code freeze, but not a time-based release.  No one has
> argued (and I sincerely hope no one will argue) that we should let the
> last CommitFest drag on and on, as we did for 8.4.  However, many
> people are still eager to see us commit more large patches even though
> they know that there are stop-ship issues in CVS HEAD as a result of
> Hot Standby, and despite the fact that committing more large patches
> will likely add more such issues.  So, barring the possibility that we
> somehow pull a collective rabbit out of our hat, we will NOT be ready
> for beta on March 1.  I have not yet given up hope on April 1, but I
> wouldn't bet on it, either.

I think the big issue with 8.4 was, do we close the commit-fest when we
have open issues, and we aren't clear on how to fix them?  A lot of
unresolve issues get kept for that pre-beta period because all of a
sudden we have to resolve all those complex problems.  I don't see that
changing for 8.5.

What amazes me is how many people who closely follow our development are
mystified by what we do during that pre-beta period.

  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>