Re: damage control mode

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-12 01:14:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:50:23PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I'll also say: if we can't make time-based releases work, we're
> > probably dead as a project. MySQL and Ingres both tried
> > feature-based releases, and look where they are now.
>
> That is a simplification. We have always done time-based releases
> with adjustments for feature/stability. If we can't factor
> stability concerns into the release timetable, we will end up like
> MySQL.

Comparisons to MySQL or other proprietary software just aren't
pertinent to this discussion.

If we're looking to other projects, the Linux kernel might be more
relevant. That has, for the nonce, decided to sacrifice stability for
time-based releases. People who help package the kernel for
distributions are better qualified than I to discuss the merits of
this approach.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!