Re: damage control mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-08 16:44:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> > This strikes me as quite premature. Heiki just said he expects to have SR
> > committed next week.
>
> Getting it committed is not what I'm worried about.  What I'm
> concerned about is Tom's statement that he believes that HS is not
> close to being in a state where it is stable enough to go to beta, and
> the possibility that other large patches committed during this
> CommitFest might have similar issues.

Looking at our existing schedule, I think it is unlikely we will even
make a June 2010 release date for 8.5.  Let me explain why --- here is
the ideal schedule:

	Jan 15 start commitfest
	Feb 15 stop commitfest
	Apr  1 start beta
	Jun  1 release release candidate (RC)
	Jun 20 release 8.5

You can't move from commitfest to beta until all _known_ bugs are
fixed/addressed, and you can't move from beta to RC using the same
criteria.

Of course we rarely have an ideal schedule --- we should expect
unexpected problems.  Now, I know people are going to say I am being
over pessimistic, but history will bear out my analysis.  I think we
should anticipate a July or August release of 8.5.