Re: Bug with PATHs having non-ASCII characters

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with PATHs having non-ASCII characters
Date: 2010-01-07 01:37:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:

> Just an FYI regarding this bug:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-12/msg00267.php
>
> The wide-char version of any WIN32 API call will accept or return
> data in UTF-16 encoded Unicode, regardless of the local environment's
> single-byte (MBCS) encoding settings (codepage).

I have a Windows-specific patch for open(), attached for reference.
But we need to consider about other issues:

- We need to consider about not only only open(), but also opendir(),
stat() and symlink().

- An entirely-different fix is needed for non-Windows platforms.
Probably we will convert encodings from GetDatabaseEncoding() to
GetPlatformEncoding() in MBCS, but this is not needed on Windows.
We should consider avoiding random ifdef blocks for the switching.

- Those conversions are not free. We might need to avoid conversions
for paths under $PGDATA because we only use ascii names in the server.
I used a test with IS_HIGHBIT_SET in the attached patch, but I'm not
sure whether it is the best method.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgwin32_open.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB