Re: Debugging PostgreSql queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vaduvoiu Tiberiu <vaduvoiutibi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debugging PostgreSql queries
Date: 2010-11-18 15:36:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
Vaduvoiu Tiberiu <vaduvoiutibi(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Long story short, I have a huge query in the application that throws the errror:
> "CASE types bigint and character varying cannot be matched ". I ran
> this query in pgAdmin, in phpPgAdmin, I only get the error but have no
> clue where the error actually is thrown.

This error should include a cursor position if you're working with
server version 8.4 or later.  I infer that you're not.  It'd be worth
trying to install the application on a newer Postgres server.  We
frequently improve the error detection capabilities from one release
to the next, so what was a hard problem might get easier.