Re: pg_dump excluding tables content but not table schema

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump excluding tables content but not table schema
Date: 2009-12-31 10:37:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:20:17 +0100
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it> wrote:

> pg_dump -Fc -Z9 -s -t *.cache* -d mydb > schema_only.bak
> pg_dump -Fc -Z9 -T *.cache* -d mydb > nearly_full.bak

> cat nearly_full.bak schema_only.bak | pg_restore -1 -d mydb

> It seems it is working... I'll test if everything is there.

Unfortunately it doesn't work as expected.
It silently skip to restore the second backup (schema_only.bak).
I'm surprised it didn't output any error message, but the cache
tables aren't there.

It seems that you have to actually restore the 2 backup separately.

pg_restore -1 -d mydb < nearly_full.bak
pg_restore -1 -d mydb < schema_only.bak

I can't think of any other way to restore both in one transaction
unless I backup in plain text. But that should have other drawback.

Any hint?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it