Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions
Date: 2009-11-30 14:16:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On m?n, 2009-11-30 at 07:06 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I thought one problem was that inline is a suggestion that the compiler
> > can ignore, while macros have to be implemented as specified.
>
> Sure, but one could argue that a compiler that doesn't support inline
> usefully is probably not the sort of compiler that you use for compiling
> performance-relevant software anyway.  We can support such systems in a
> degraded way for historical value and evaluation purposes as long as
> it's pretty much free, like we support systems without working int8.

The issue is that many compilers will take "inline" as a suggestion and
decide if it is worth-while to inline it --- I don't think it is inlined
unconditionally by any modern compilers.

Right now we think we are better at deciding what should be inlined than
the compiler --- of course, we might be wrong, and it would be good to
performance test this.