Re: Manual vacs 5x faster than autovacs?

From: Wayne Beaver <wayne(at)acedsl(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Manual vacs 5x faster than autovacs?
Date: 2009-11-12 16:58:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Quoting Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>
>>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Wayne Beaver <wayne(at)acedsl(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I'd seen autovacs running for hours and had mis-attributed this to growing
>>> query times on those tables  - my thought was that "shrinking" the tables
>>> "more quickly" could make them "more-optimized", more often. Sounds like I
>>> could be chasing the wrong symptoms, though.
>>
>> Now it is quite possible that a slow autovac is causing your queries
>> to run slower.  So, if it has a moderate to high cost delay, then
>> it might not be able to keep
>> up with the job and your tables will become bloated.
>>
>> The problem isn't that autovac is stealing too many resources, it's
>> that it's not stealing enough.
>>
>> I see you're technically running 8.3, but you're running RC2
>> for some reason? I don't usually run 8.x.0 in production. Let alone
>> RCs. You should really update before some nasty bug that's been
>> squashed in later releases bites you.

Hahaha. Yes, 8.3RC2 was latest version at time I implemented related
client app. Install is "production-like", more so than production -
non-mission-critical, but important to some "VIP-like" users at
intervals which are not necessarily predictable. I'm long past my goal
of migrating to 8.4, actually...

My autovac settings are all at default values, so sounds like I can at
least tinker with _workers and _cost_delay. I've not yet gotten to you
iostat inquiry from your previous response...

wb