Re: auto truncate/vacuum full

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: JC Praud <brutaltruth42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: auto truncate/vacuum full
Date: 2009-10-27 23:29:39
Lists: pgsql-general
JC Praud escribió:

> - Last night the database locked. pg_log full of messages about insert into
> the mother table waiting for a lock.

This bit does not make much sense to me.  A transaction waiting will not
show up in the log.  Were they cancelled?  Can you paste an extract from
the log?

> - After about 40min, the waiting queries acquired their locks and ran.

Do you have a vacuum in cron or something like that?  As Tom says, if it
had been autovacuum, it should have been cancelled automatically (else
we've got a bug); but something invoking vacuum externally wouldn't
have, so what you describe is what we would expect.