Re: pg_dump custom format and pigz

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump custom format and pigz
Date: 2009-10-23 14:25:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Marc,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 03:52:16PM +0200, Marc Mamin wrote:

> > You might add pigz as a post-processing step and disabling compression in pg_dump.
>
> The problem with this solution is that it make it necessary to
> decompress the dump entirely before using pg_restore (or did I miss a
> point ?)
> This is an issue as our uncompressed dumps may reach 3-500 GB...

Right, that would not work.

> A better way would be to have a configuration option to tell which
> compression tool should be used internally by pg_dump.

Well, that would mean linking pg_dump with the library providing the
compression you want. I suppose, only data is compressed, not the whole
dump, e.g. dumping without compression then compressing is different
from dumping with compression.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de