BUG #5134: initdb fails with return code 1

From: "Savita" <savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5134: initdb fails with return code 1
Date: 2009-10-22 12:55:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5134
Logged by: Savita
Email address: savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5
Operating system: AIX HP
Details:

Hi

We have written the script to create the postgres database. Now the initdb
fails with return code 1.

The locale of the system is Ja_JP (AIX). I am getting the similar error in
HP of locale ja_JP.SJIS.

With error I could make out that initdb is unable to determine the encoding
for these locale.

I am pasting the error I am getting

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale Ja_JP.
could not determine encoding for locale "Ja_JP": codeset is "IBM-943"
initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale Ja_JP
Rerun initdb with the -E option.
Try "initdb --help" for more information.
1
Execute initdb failed!. Exiting installation .......

Could you please let me know how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance
Savita