BUG #5105: "Select Into Strict" does not throw NO_DATA_FOUND

From: "Walter Mesz" <meszwalter(at)yahoo(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5105: "Select Into Strict" does not throw NO_DATA_FOUND
Date: 2009-10-08 14:42:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      5105
Logged by:          Walter Mesz
Email address:      meszwalter(at)yahoo(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.0
Operating system:   Windows XP SP2
Details:

Hi,

my problem is that this select into does not throw a NO_DATA_FOUND if my
select involves a max(). I did not see this behaviour documented anywhere
and could not find it in a reasonable time at google.

-------------code----------------------------------
create or replace function xyz() returns void as
$BODY$ declare
x integer;
begin
 SELECT max(tanum)
           INTO STRICT x
           FROM lo_prod_req
          WHERE tanum = '1234567';

         raise notice 'failed';

exception
 WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND
         THEN
         raise notice 'it should be as this';
end ;
 $BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
-------------code----------------------------------

It does throw an Exception if I change the query into this though:

SELECT tanum INTO STRICT x
           FROM lo_prod_req
          WHERE tanum = '1234567' limit 1;

Although this query does not make much sense with the max() statement it
should work anyway

Thank you
Walter Mesz

pgsql-bugs by date