Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date: 2009-09-30 16:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane escribió:
> > And here's the last necessary bit, which is pg_dump support for all
> > this.
>
> > + /* Dump role/database settings */
> > + if (!tablespaces_only)
> > + {
> > + if (server_version >= 80500)
> > + dumpDbRoleConfig(conn);
> > + }
>
> Hmm ... I would kind of think that --roles-only should suppress this too.
> Otherwise you're going to be dumping commands that might refer to
> nonexistent databases.

Hmm. The problem I have with this idea is that the only way to dump the
per-database role settings is if you are also dumping the contents of
all databases. Which seems like a pain to me because the usage I
usually recommend is to backup global objects with pg_dumpall -g.

I wonder if pg_dumpall should have a method for dumping database
creation and settings, excluding contents (leaving that for plain
pg_dump).