Re: How to use pgAdmin 3

From: Arthur Knight Hammer <art(at)kingofthebears(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use pgAdmin 3
Date: 2009-09-29 12:43:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, manish hiremath wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am absolutely new to PostgreSQL pgAdmin. I have no idea how to work on
> this.
> I have currently installed *PostgreSQL 8.3.5 win32 *version. I need to carry
> out the following step
>
> ---> *Using the Application "PgAdmin III," which was installed with
> PostgreSQL, login to the*
>
> *database server and create a new database called “connect” with UNICODE
> setting.*
> I have been trying to find info from net and do this but in vain. How do I
> start working with the pgAdmin3 GUI
> Kindly guide me step by step how to do this ASAP.
>
> I would really appreciate quick response.
>
> Thanking in advance.

Dear Manish:

I work mostly in Linux but I will try to help get you started since I woke up
earlier than everyone else! LOL!

When you bring up PgAdmin III, click File->Add Server.

A dialogue window will appear. The Name: is arbitrary --- whatever you wish
to call it and spaces are OK.

The Host: is probably localhost since you said both programs are running on
the same computer.

All the other values are defaults and I believe should work for your
installation.

When you click OK, PgAdmin III will attempt to contact the database with the
information you provided. If it cannot do so, then you need to check:

* Is Postgresql running? If not, start it in the
Windows->Programs->Postgresql->Start Server or something like that

* On Linux, I have to initialize Postgresql with a script. I think Windows
does this for you

Otherwise, you now have a connection to your database.

Click the + sign on the Server entry in the left pane, and a list of server
objects will appear ... right click on the Database object, left click "New
Database", and a dialogue will appear.

UTF8 is Unicode. The "Template" is a model from which to start a database;
template0 is fine. Give your database a name and an owner,
probably "postgres" as you have not added other users, and that is enough
information to create the database.

PgAdmin III uses the "right-click menu" -> "left-click select action" paradigm
a lot ... that is how you will add columns to your database, etc.

Good luck! It is a very satisfying combination, Postgresql and PgAdmin III!

Arthur Knight Hammer