Re: logging hook for database audit

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logging hook for database audit
Date: 2009-09-11 01:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think the proposal to put a hook here is an end-run to try to avoid
> getting a detailed feature proposal past the criticism of pgsql-hackers,
> and I don't like that either.

I see. If there are bugs in logging module, no one can know research the cause.

> I can see the potential value of per-destination minimum message levels,
> so maybe you should just propose that. But this is a bad place for a
> hook.

Features I tried to implement are following:

* per-destination minimum message levels
* per-destination log line prefix
(syslog has their own prefix, but stderr has no default prefix)
* per-category minimum message levels
(don't write sql logs in syslog, but can write other LOGs)

I'll take a direction to make them into some pieces of core patches.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center