Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "kunwarpal(dot)rawat" <kunwarpal(dot)rawat(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update
Date: 2009-09-03 16:58:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:03:35PM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM,
> kunwarpal.rawat<kunwarpal(dot)rawat(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
> > Dear Support Team,
> >

> > I am currently using postgresql version 7.3 and I want to upgrade this
> > version.
> >
> > So, can you please help me regarding the
> >
> > 1.       List of upgrades/patches/service packs available to update the
> > postgresql 7.3 version
>
> There were 21 patch releases available for 7.3. You can see the list
> on this page and see what bugs and security holes they fixed:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/appendixes.html
>
> However you should realize that 7.3.21 came out a year and a half ago
> and was the end of life for 7.3. If any further bugs or security holes
> have been found they would not generally be fixed.

With all due respect, you should not have put any qualifiers in that
sentence. 7.3 is as dead a King Charles, and if someone finds a
remote root exploit in it, it will not be fixed.

> Users are advised to upgrade to a supported release.

In the sense that people sailing in small boats on rough water are
"advised" to wear a life vest, yes.

> > 2.       The list of feature that’s updating in each new version
> > of the software.
>
> That same link has the release notes for versions 7.4, 8.0, 8.1,
> 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 along with all the patch releases for them. It
> will take a long time to read as you're talking about 6 years of
> development.

It's a really, really good idea to build major version upgrades into
your development, deployment and maintenance processes.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!