Re: Archive Message-Id links broken?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Archive Message-Id links broken?
Date: 2009-08-31 02:47:25
Lists: pgsql-www

Greg Stark escribió:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Alvaro
> Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I'm mildly surprised to learn that this is unintentional...  I use it
> >> semi-regularly as a way of getting a shorter and more legible URL for
> >> a message in the archives.
> >
> > I guess we could provide both.  I vaguely remember someone asking how to
> > get this URL some time ago.
>
> The message-id url is far more useful generally. It's guaranteed not
> to change if we reprocess the mail archives -- even if we change mail
> archiving systems altogether. More importantly it can be used to track
> down the message even if the mail archives are down or inaccessible.
>
> The msg02010.php style url is what you get from our search engine or
> index listing. I didn't think it was hard to get these urls. How are
> you *not* getting one these urls in the first place?

The number-based URLs are generated by Mhonarc internally. It doesn't
generate the message-id-based URLs, and there's no way to make it emit
them, so they are generated by an external program that broke when I
changed the Mhonarc config some time ago after Tom complained that it
broke URLs that ended in message-ids in the message body.

This is all crap of course, which is why we want to replace Mhonarc with
a database-backed system.