Re: WIP: remove use of flat auth file for clientauthentication

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: remove use of flat auth file for clientauthentication
Date: 2009-08-29 13:00:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> I get the feeling that part of the inspiration for this is that Hot
> Standby must maintain this file. If not, I'm curious as to the reasons
> for doing this. No objections however, just curiosity.

The impetus for these changes was the performance complaint that adding
new users is extremely expensive once the files get to be large.
Solving that kind of a problem typically involves moving away from flat
files and to a database.  Thankfully, we happen to have a database
already built-in. ;)

> Specifically, should I remove the parts of the HS patch that refresh
> those files?

I'd probably wait till it's committed and then rip it out as part of
re-baseing against CVS.  That's just my 2c on it and I've no clue how
invasive the changes to HS are to do that.  If it's easy to separate the
changes and remove/add them as needed, then perhaps it doesn't matter if
you do that now or wait.

	Thanks,

		Stephen