Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-28 09:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 09:38:15PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Exactly, and I think that what we're missing here is a simple tool for
> our users to check a new PostgreSQL release against their existing
> application.
>
> We already know how to either log all queries and analyze the log files
> (CSV makes it easier, pgfouine parses them too) or to have a fe/be
> protocol proxy to record application SQL traffic (tsung recorder does
> that).
>
> What we miss is a tool to run the captured queries through both versions
> of PG and report any resultset mismatch, of course with a way to account
> for ordering issues (but we've seen people rely on the ordering when
> they don't give an order by clause, then bug the lists about it if a new
> release changes it).

This would be very useful. I often am asked "how much better will the new
release run our apps" as part of convincing a client to upgrade to a
more current postgresql release. Being able to replay a days workload in a
somewhat realistic manner would be a great help.

-dg

--
David Gould daveg(at)sonic(dot)net 510 536 1443 510 282 0869