Re: fillfactor hides autovacuum parameters in 8.4.0

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fillfactor hides autovacuum parameters in 8.4.0
Date: 2009-08-27 15:43:36
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Itagaki Takahiro wrote:

> Here is a patch to fix a bug in handling default values in reloptions.
> This fix should be applied to HEAD and 8.4.0.
>
> I used 'magic number -1' to propagate "not-specified" information to
> autovacuum process. It might look strange because the default value is
> out of range of the reloption, but I think it has less impact to the
> codes comapred with other solutions (dynamic default values etc.).

I realized that any other solution here is going to be more complex and
thus less appropriate for backpatch.  I still don't like this very much
because it doesn't seem to offer enough flexibility to user-specified
reloptions; but any patch we come up with here is going to be applicable
to CVS HEAD.

So I'm going to apply your patch to both 8.4 and HEAD; we can always
improve it later, I guess.