Data audit trail techniques in postgresql

From: Nathaniel Smith <nate(at)summersault(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data audit trail techniques in postgresql
Date: 2009-08-27 16:28:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Howdy,

(cross-posted to the pg.sql and pg.general lists)

I'm looking to set up an audit trail system--ie, logging every
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE on a given table and tracking how the data
changes over time. I know I could do it by hand using triggers, but was
hoping to save a little time using something prepackaged.

I installed and tested the two-year untouched
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/audittrail2/ --the only auditing tool on
pgFoundry with a release--and found that, while it works well, it's
still marked as beta and has an obvious bug in it when used in 8.3.7.

What do others use to accomplish this? Do most pg users just write
triggers by hand? Or is there some nice auditing module that Google
just isn't revealing to me?

Thanks.

Nathaniel Smith
Web Application Developer