Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: ceccareb(at)talusmusic(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Brian Ceccarelli <ceccareb(at)talussoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .
Date: 2009-08-24 19:03:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Haas escribió:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Brian
> Ceccarelli<ceccareb(at)talusmusic(dot)com> wrote:
> > Yes.   I understand.   It has all to do with Unicode collating sequence.  I
> > need to somehow remove this bug from the list, since it is not a bug.
>
> Heh. As far as I understand, there is no list... one thing that I
> have been worrying about is the lack of any apparent mechanism to make
> sure that every bug report gets a response, even if the response is
> just "this is not a bug" or "you didn't provide enough detail" or "go
> file this bug against the correct product".

Bruce used to say proudly that we didn't need a bugtracker because *he*
was the bugtracker. Back in those days he had a lot more time to keep
on top of his PG mailbox. Today it is seeming like we need something
better. Something simple though, because the previous discussions
involving bugzilla led nowhere (or actually -- they led us right back
where we started).

Personally I still think debbugs would suit us perfectly, but 1. I don't
have time to handle it, 2. nobody else believes this, 3. the debbugs
developers are not very interested in helping us use it.