Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-21 23:48:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 08:44:20AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 22:19 -0500, decibel wrote:
> > BTW, for those saying let's focus on the software... this is the
> > *advocacy* list. You're probably looking for -hackers. :P And keep
> > in mind that advocacy builds community, which builds better
> > software.
>
> I do not think we should stop advocating. I think we should be doing
> so smartly. Dealing with Forester or any of the other shills is a
> waste of energy. Let EDB deal with that.

With all due respect, I don't think it's a complete waste of energy.
Hackers frequently need to deal with decision-makers who get their
information from sources much less truthful than pgsql-advocacy.
Sometimes, these decision-makers' hair is pretty pointy, and it's for
this case when having some PHB-friendly material can really, really
help. This means getting our story out to the Foresters of the world,
repugnant as that may seem to you.

> We as a community should be focusing on recruiting -hackers and
> people who are going to use the database. Django developers, Rails
> developers, PostGIS etc... We don't have to (nor should we want to)
> give donkey spit about business uptick. The oustide developers and
> companies surrounding us will take care of that.

I wish I had your faith in this, but those people frequently have a
fiduciary duty to promote their own company as opposed--sometimes
pretty nastily--to promoting the stuff we do.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!