I can of course reproduce as well.
The occurrence might be associated with Shift-Tab to toggle to excel immediately after a column edit operation (i.e., while still processing the transaction). I've described in detail below the steps that most often reproduce the termination:
1. While an existing column is selected, click on the "Create a new object of the same type as the selected object." Button.
2. Toggle to an Excel 2007 approx. 450kb spreadsheet and copy "creationTimestamp" text from within a cell (i.e., only text itself is copied not the cell) 3. Toggle back to pgAdmin III and paste in "Name"
4. Set Data Type as "timestamp with time zone"
5. Click "OK" button to close window
6. Immediately after click "OK" button (i.e., very promptly and perhaps while pgAdmin III is still processing), do a Shift-Tab to toggle back to Excel 2007.
7. In Excel, copy the text "Date and time record was created". Toggle back to pgAdmin III via Shift-Tab.
8. Select "creationTimestamp" in object browser and click on "Display/edit the properties of the selected object."
9. Paste the copied text into the Comment field.
10. Click "OK" button to close window
11. Immediately after click "OK" button (i.e., very promptly and perhaps while pgAdmin III is still processing), do a Shift-Tab to toggle back to Excel 2007. Sometimes crashes at this point with a pause at the pgAdmin III screen and then the toggle to Excel after pgAdmin III has terminated. If it has not terminated then continuation with below steps.
12. Repeat steps #1-2 but this time for "updateTimestamp" text 13. Repeat steps #3-6. Often terminates at this point when doing the same thing as #6. However, less occurrence of the termination if I adequately pause before doing the Shift-Tab back to Excel.
From: Andrew Maclean [mailto:andrew(dot)amaclean(at)gmail(dot)com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:20 AM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Rainer Bauer; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org; JwexlerAt MailDotCom
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] sudden program termination: no warning, error, or crash
This is probably the same issue as I reported in an earlier thread "Sudden crash in pgadmin"
I haven't changed anything on this machine so I can reproduce it if needed.
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Dave Page<dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet(at)munnin(dot)com> wrote:
>> Thursday, August 13, 2009, 2:38:02 AM, you wrote:
>> JM> I am also getting repeated sudden program terminations. My
>> JM> environment is Windows Server 2003 Native Japanese OS. Postgresql
>> JM> 8.4. Pgadmin III 1.10. Often after just having added a column,
>> JM> the program terminates. In all cases thus far, the operation that
>> JM> I was performing (addition to or maintenance of a column) was
>> JM> successful (i.e., the change was saved).
>> Although this won't be helpful, but it happened to me as well
>> yesterday. WinXPSP3 pgAdmin1.10 connected to a PostgreSQL 8.4
>> I was left clicking on group/user roles in the tree view when pgAdmin
>> crashed and the window disappeared.
>> After restarting the program I tried to reproduce this behaviour, but
>> the crash was not reproducable.
> I'm not sure how we'll be able to track down these cases without a
> reproducible test case. That said, I've been fixing some bugs that
> cause similar crashes on Solaris which seems to be *far* more picky
> about some things than other OSs. From the description that jwexler
> gave, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you are seeing
> the same/similar bugs, just with far less frequency.
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> Sent via pgadmin-support mailing list (pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org)
> To make changes to your subscription:
Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems
The Rose Street Building J04
The University of Sydney 2006 NSW
Ph: +61 2 9351 3283
Fax: +61 2 9351 7474
pgadmin-support by date
|Next:||From: JwexlerAt MailDotCom||Date: 2009-08-19 07:27:40|
|Subject: "Use Replication" label/field bug in Column Create/Edit Dialog|
|Previous:||From: jwexler||Date: 2009-08-19 01:03:10|
|Subject: Re: sudden program termination: no warning, error, or crash|