Re: Help me to understand (documentation)

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Виктор Вислобоков <corochoone(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help me to understand (documentation)
Date: 2009-08-16 20:43:30
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:40:21AM +0400, Виктор Вислобоков wrote:
> Thanks, Joshua.
>
> I understand the difference JOIN and WHERE, but I'm very appreciate your
> explanation.
> My goal is a bit other, I want to translate the phrase "as is" (in compact
> form)

The phrase you mentioned indicates that the ON and USING clauses not only
filter out rows, like a WHERE clause would, but also instruct the join to add
NULL values for rows in one relation that aren't matched by rows in the other
relation. Does that help at all? For whatever it's worth, my experience with
translation is that sometimes you've got to pretty much rewrite the original
either because a literal translation doesn't work in the language of choice,
or because the original text didn't make sense in the source language to begin
with. This case may include a little of both :)

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation