Re: documentation output directory

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: documentation output directory
Date: 2009-08-14 22:32:33
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Saturday 15 August 2009 00:28:48 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> In looking at snapshot generation it becomes clear that the output of
> the documentation is misplaced.  I say we should move the output dirs to
> be:
>
> doc/html
> doc/man/man1
> doc/man/man3
> doc/man/man7
> doc/src/...
>
> Objections?  Peter, I think you're working on other doc-related things
> (build dir rather than source dir?), so I'm not going to touch this
> until you tell me it's OK to do so.

I don't mind cleaning up the doc/ subtree a bit.  But note that it is
generally sanest when a Makefile builds files in the current directory using
files in the current directory.  So please don't create a setup where make in
doc/src/sgml/ creates files in doc/ or an unrelated subdirectory of doc/.  In
other words, if you prefer the above setup, you need to move the build logic
to doc/Makefile.

Ultimately, the sanest way would be to remove doc/src/ and doc/src/sgml/ and
put everything directly under doc/.  But that would IMO require a VCS that can
tolerate that kind of move.