Re: autogenerating headers & bki stuff

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: autogenerating headers & bki stuff
Date: 2009-08-11 20:52:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 30 June 2009 06:59:51 Robert Haas wrote:
> The attached patch merges all of the logic currently in genbki.sh and
> Gen_fmgrtab.{sh,pl} into a single script called gen_catalog.pl

I can't really convince myself to like this change. I think there is some
merit that these scripts are separate. I'm not sure what the combined script
buys us except that it is a lot bigger and does everything at once instead of
in two or three steps.

That together with the big makefile moving around makes me think that this
would cause more confusion and not much advantage.

Btw., is this stamp-h business really necessary? I guess you copied that from
pg_config.h, but the reason there is that everything depends on pg_config.h,
and rerunning configure would normally cause everything to be rebuilt. The
files we are looking at here should only change when something is edited.