Re: Alpha 1 release notes

From: Mike <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca>
To: Albert Cervera i Areny <albert(at)nan-tic(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Alpha 1 release notes
Date: 2009-08-12 00:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If I didn't read this email I would still be trying to figure out how
to use the explain XML patch. Thanks Albert.

I found the syntax for the explain xml format to be quite difficult to
understand at first, it would be nice to give an example or two, ie:

EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, FORMAT XML) SELECT * FROM foo WHERE i = 4;

The thing that caused me the most trouble was that the "," wasn't very
noticeable sitting near the end of this line:

EXPLAIN [ ( { ANALYZE boolean | VERBOSE boolean | COSTS boolean |
FORMAT { TEXT | XML | JSON } } [, ...] ) ] statement

It may just be me, but I read that as the comma being optional, not
mandatory in circumstances where you want to specify more then one
option.

Nonetheless, an additional example with multiple options would sure
help.

Thanks.

--
Mike